On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 14:00 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
Hi folks,

one of the things which always unnverved me most in OO is the fact
that it ships own copies of dozens of standard 3rd-party packages,
often very outdated and patched-to-death.

For a distro build configuring with --with-system-libs will generally
do-the-right-thing.

For a universal Linux build that has to run everywhere we can probably
at this stage definitely default to --with-system zlib, jpeg and some
other ones where the ABI have been stable for yonks and are ubiquitous.

The clone dirs are split into libs-extern and libs-extern-sys, I imagine
the thinking at the moment is that one ones in libs-extern-sys are the
ones that would reasonably be expected to be preinstalled these days,
though f.e.

a) hunspell sometimes changes its ABI to an Libo build against one
version of it may not be able to run against another.
b) major version of icu always change their ABI, so a Libo build against
one e.g. icu 4.4 will not work if deployed against 4.2 etc.

C.