Hi Robert,

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 02:16 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
-       aStyleSet.SetToolbarIconSize( STYLE_TOOLBAR_ICONSIZE_LARGE );
+    aStyleSet.SetToolbarIconSize( nDispDPIY > 160 ? STYLE_TOOLBAR_ICONSIZE_LARGE
         : STYLE_TOOLBAR_ICONSIZE_SMALL );

        On large numbers of machines, nDispDPI is just broken - it is fetched
(AFAIR) from Xft - and is ~hard-coded to 75 everywhere to save lots of
grief from X servers getting it horribly wrong.

        So - the net effect of this is to simply default to tiny icons, even on
huge screens.

How much effort would it be to read the property from gconf if
available (or is this already done when DESKTOP=gnome)?

        That shouldn't be necessary - I believe we shoudl sync the Xft setting;
but perhaps there is some xsettings linkage we could add: gtk-xft-dpi or
somesuch.

I prefer small icons, no matter what. Icons are there to preserve
space, provide access to functionality, not to waste my screen-estate
with "pretty pictures".

        Sure - but you know what the icons do :-) and you are expert with the
keybindings. Of course - if you are an expert, you can turn the icons to
a smaller size too ;-) Personally, my emacs has no toolbar, or menu bar
but ... this is not a good default.

        So - I would prefer to stick with large icons; and not use the DPI
setting. I suggest instead, that we only use large icons if the true Y
resolution > 768 - how does that sound ?

        ATB,

                Michael.