On 11/30/2010 09:54 AM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:

Sorry I have to disagree there.  I'm the one who put that icon there,
and the reason for that was to have a visually obvious way to tell
whether or not the document is currently modified.  A lot of people were
using the save icon status for that purpose, but some users (including
myself) also didn't like the fact that you can't always save the
document especially when the app *thinks* it's not modified (note: there
are times when the document is marked unmodified, but some data are
modified such as the cursor position, zoom level etc.).

Is there a use case to justify exposing any of this to users?

From what I've seen, users only expect one thing: a way to reliably save their work.

A "force save" function could be useful in some unusual situations, but it's only interesting to experts. Provide it as a function that can be bound if needed, or just use Save As and don't change the name.

Some feedback as to whether the save request was completed is nice but optional. If present, it should be unobtrusive and not (permanently) shown on the status bar. A mysterious but attention-grabbing icon definitely seems a step in the wrong direction.

I think Sebastian has raised a number of good points. Forcing users to deal with stuff that only experts care about is a huge problem with OOo; I sincerely hope LibO can do better.

<Joe