On 30/11/10 15:24, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 16:11 +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Kohei Yoshida wrote:
  b) We warn when closing a modified doc anyway, so there is no need to
     always warn me and use up precious space. I propose to just do away
     with it.
Sorry I have to disagree there.  I'm the one who put that icon there,
and the reason for that was to have a visually obvious way to tell
whether or not the document is currently modified.

Hi Kohei,

ok, but maybe there are other means to get that info across?
Sure, if you have any good suggestions.

Copy the way WordPerfect does it?
The
status bar, generally, uses up precious horizontal screen real
estate, for very little benefit.
Well, status bar contains info about status, and document modified
"status" fits the bill, no? ;-)

-- Thorsten, who likes the '*' prefix on the window title bar
Indeed, but just to put this in prospective, I've received tons of angry
emails from users when I suggested to always enable the save icon.  They
also said that things like a small '*' in the title bar would not be
obvious enough.

Would the word "unmodified" do it?

Pretty much all the *Perfect suite display the document name in the
title bar, and then if it's unmodified they put "(unmodified)" after the
document name. I don't normally give a monkeys about the document
status, but that uses space that otherwise wouldn't be used for anything
and, if done across writer, calc, basically all the components :-) would
provide a neat way of passing the information to the user, at no cost of
valuable currently-used screen estate.

Obviously many users feel very *emotional* about this issue, and I found
it out the hard way.

Kohei

Cheers,
Wol