Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: The Sidebar Problem

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Teo91 <mcavalleri91@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sean White wrote
> > Just look at what happened to MSOffice after Ribbon. Leaving aside the
> > arguments of
> > whether it did indeed change things for their better, it undeniably
> > changed
> > them dramatically. This resulted in lots of hate from people that were
> > force to change their work flow.
>
> That's not the sidebar case: as discussed upper, the idea is provide an
> (almost) complete UI aside the existing one,
> potentially avoiding any menu browsing. Potentially.
> Don't like the sidebar? It's a click away, close it and will disappear as
> never existed.
> Don't like classic UI? Close toolbars and use the sidebar.
> Ribbon affected users workflow because they had no choice: "Take this and
> shut up" - MS said.
> We are *not* doing something similar.

I think you misunderstood my intent. My point was to pedro's seeming
suggestion of a massive UI change, or at the very least an abrupt workflow
change. It's didn't work terribly well when microssoft did it becuase it
DID change peoples workflows too much. Regardless of personaly feelings of
productivity, massive workflow changes on major products aren't generally a
good thing as MSOffice, Windows 8 and Gnome have all demonstrated. From
experiences with this mailing list I have a feeling that this is always
going to be a major reason why people won't go with a complete redesign
right off the bat, more a gradual shift towards a design/mockup goal.

> Sean White wrote
> > LibreOffice uses it's own internal toolkit with a custom selection of UI
> > elements thus any
> > massive UI change would require the writing of new UI elements into the
> > toolkit and
> > probably the rewritting of a fair ammount of old ones
>
> No more, not in the upcoming future:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/WidgetLayout/FindDialogs
> Over 84% of current dialogs have been converted to the new .ui format who
> rely on GTK+3 toolkit.
> When complete, the plans are (as far as I know):
> - convert toolkit used by exstensions
> - get rid of hundreds of .rsc files (a .po-like old format used for
> translation)
> - finally port main windows to GTK+3
>
> There isn't an arrival date, but forget LO own toolkit in the future, it
> will be no more a limitation for a UI change :)
>
> The good news is that the sidebar is indeed a dialog docked on the side and
> already converted to GTK since LO 4.2
> A potential developers doesn't need to learn a weird old technology,
> neither
> extending it with new elements.
>
> A sidebar improvement still require time and hard work, but it's notably
> simpler now.
> Another good reason why this is the right way to finally enhance LO visual
> experience.

I'll admit that I have been out of the Libreoffice loop lately so this is
both new and exciting. The custom toolkit always struck me a barrier of
entry to any prospective new contributors. I hope the rest of the
conversion goes well then.

--
Sean White,
Within Temptation - Your Argument Is Invalid