Hi, :-)

I was working on the new theme for the libreoffice.org website today,
and then the server went dead. It's probably a nudge from fate. ;-)
And then I was reading Stefan Siegel in a thread on the docs list, and
it sounds like he has rather different ideas about at least some of
the content on the libreoffice.org website. And I've also been
thinking about some of the stuff that's been said in off-list threads
about the website, the work I've been doing on it, and the theme [1]
[2] that I'm developing for it (using Nikash Singh's template).

Let's have this conversation *on* the list. I want to know a few
things from all you guys.

I asked for a period of time up to January 10 to finish what I started
without consulting you very much. This is because, in my experience,
the discussions turn into long rambling threads, with lots of
conflicting opinions, and - in the end - no clear decision gets taken
by anyone. I can tell you, as someone who's been at the sharp end of
the actual work, it's really not easy to work like that. My intention
has been to then hand the re-themed and content-filled website back to
the SC and the community on January 10, 2011, and then get feedback
from you all, and then implement changes that clearly seem to be
wanted.

Implementing Nikash' theme [1] [2] has been a lot of work for me. I've
worked from the screenshot, produced all the graphics under Photoshop,
sent them to Nikash for his approval and editing. I've started work on
the SilverStripe templates and on the CSS stylesheets, and have been
putting all of that on the SilverStripe sandbox that Christian
provided me at http://188.40.32.145:7780/ (work is still much in
progress).

Christian gave me a go for the theme, setting certain size constraints
[1] [2]. Florian said that he'd accept whatever Christian decided.
Bernhard gave me a "kind-of" go. Charles gave me a go, if I understood
correctly. Ultimately, I'm not really sure what Christoph's position
was.

So, let me ask you the first question:

a) Do I have broad consensus of permission from you for this January
10 handover? Or should I accept that you all jump in as from now, and
change things the way you want?

b) Are you happy with the content I've developed (and am still
continuing to develop)? Or am I going in a wrong direction?

c) Do I really have a green light from the SC for this theme [1] [2]?
It's a heck of a lot of work and, if I do it, I want to be *sure* that
it is going to be used for the libreoffice.org site. So do I have a go
or a no-go?

Please do give me clear explicit answers from you all. TIA. ;-)

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Nik
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/b/bc/SPECS_InterimSite_101224NS.jpg

David Nelson