I don't think it's fair to compare the sidebar to a ribbon because they have
a different scope. The ribbon takes the place of both menus and
toolbars--which means this same element you use to change the font is used
to cut and paste, insert charts, open dialogues, save the document, and do
pretty much everything. The sidebar has a different scope, and while we
haven't formally defined that, I think we should. A good starting point for
that would be "controls for editing aspects of the document." This would
mean it would take the place of all of the toolbars that have to do with
editing or inserting, along with the styles pane, gallery, and the like. (I
suppose that would exclude the navigator from the sidebar, which might be
reasonable. I see several use-cases involving using using the navigator and
editing at the same time.) This would mean the sidebar would be used to
change the current style, add shapes and lines, bold/underline words etc,
while the menus would still be used for pretty much everything they are used
for now. So the goal of the sidebar wouldn't be so much to replace the menus
but instead to complement them.