Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: Initial icon design

Hi,
Sorry for just jumping in, perhaps this has been discussed before, but
why are we trying to make MIME type icons?

MIME types icons should have nothing to do with the application used
to create your files. That would be a bit like Firefox or Chrome
bundling in their own icon for html documents. MIME icons are usually
decide at the OS level (or Desktop environment Unix systems) or by the
organization responsible for the file format. The fact is Windows
will have it's own icons while Gnome, KDE, Haiku, AROS and what not
might choose somthing else that fit their visual style better. This
should be our job.

Also Bernhard mentions the the goal is "to replace the OOo galaxy icon
theme". Galaxy icons are UI icons aren't they? So we shouldn't we be
working on icons like those found here
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy.html ?

Also there seems to be confusion about application and MIME type
icons. Sure we need to make and icons for each product(writer, calc,
etc.) But they don't have to look like a document. They can look like
anything.

Seb.