Hi MIchael, *

Michael Wheatland wrote:
Bernhard,
This is a great start, some suggestions:

I would love to see more bold colours for the application than the document
mime icon.

Sorry, my English seems not to be sufficient to understand exactly what you
mean:

Do "bold colors" refer to thicker borders or to more colorful icons?

How should this apply to the Application icons, but not to the document icons?

I tried to show the dfference by using the darker ("primary") colors istead of the
secondary ligher ones on the document icons.

The colourful LibreOffice logos on the "LibO Box Label" look great and I
think it would be good if we could integrate those strong colours into the
mime types instead of washing out the official logo, make it stand out and
use the colours to identify the application along with the internal
representative diagrams.

One more question:
"Washing out the official logo" - means that the gradient reducing the contrast
of the logo or the branding message / visual identity?

Even if clear and pure stylized icons are easier to recognize (especially in
small scale), we should think about the surrounding elements / icons on the
user's desktop: Especially on Mac and Linux icons become more and more
 three-dimensional and realistic - The more abstract our icons are, the more
probably they will be replaced by distro specific icons.

Therefore I'd like to find a way in the middle...

I'm not quite sure, if we need different icons for application and document at all -
functionality is quite the same (except directly opening an existing file) and
mixing up those two files is not very likely regarding the places they are stored in
the file system (program folder vs. document folder).

What is the UX reason for providing three sets of icons besides a combined set
for application/documents and another one for templates?

Best regards

Bernhard