Hi Bjoern,

Stating that a classic CMS is by definition better suited for the task at hand
than something more interactive like discourse is a foregone conclusion. Given
that the lack of community involvement is the core reason for many limitations
of the current setup, its not a valid one.

I think the quickest route to success is adopting a proven framework for hosting extensions. If you
want to build something unique start from scratch, I’d use a generic framework (again, not sure
about Plone, I couldn’t find the repo for the current site), but really never a framework made for
a very specific function. I’ve been there (helping others professionaly) and pulling my hair out as
a developer when I was asked to add some new functionality that didn’t align with the core
functionality that that specific framework offered.

- Lack of integration with LibreOffice? -> Create an API on top of the
current database and integrate it with LibreOffice (another thing that I
guess would be hard to realize with a foundation based on Askbot)
[...]
- Lack of moderators? -> All of the above?

Please dont guess or speculate on this, you will likely get it wrong. This is
something that needs to be evaluated by trying.

Sure, these are questions. But I’d always want to try the simplest route that also is promising for
future development and do basic experiments in the current situation when possible that will learn
us something more about the requirements. You’ve been suggesting starting with a MVP on
ask.libreoffice.org <http://ask.libreoffice.org/>. Sure, try the templates function, you always
learn, but I can assure you it will be a deadlock when you want to grow it into a full fledged
extensions site. Look at the growing list of ideas. One day you want features comparable to other
platforms and I can’t see how a Q/A platform will get us there.

I really doubt that OAuth or not has anything to do with it. Localisation, probably yes.

Well, where do the 45.000 accounts on askbot come from? The site is far from
being perfect, but still doing better that all other forums we have. OAuth etc.
certainly has a role in that, as does gamification, badges and social media
integration.

Sure, but again, I doubt it matters to an extensions website. Mozilla has no OAuth, and still has
imho a great extensions website. In an ideal world everyone contributes and consumes, but in
reality it is just a small percentage. Especially when it comes to more complicated stuff like
building extensions and quality themes.

For the community the decision should go with the team that gets the most
content, interaction and users on their platform.

Interaction & users should imho not be the primary goal for an extensions website, great extensions
should be. If clearly communicated, I strongly believe the 1% of users that is willing to volunteer
will step up, but until the moment you opened the thread there wasn’t really a way I could see this
was something I could help out, and I’m subscribed to a list oriented toward LibreOffice’s end-user
experience (this list).

g.,

Maarten