On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Yousuf 'Jay' Philips <ypharis@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/03/2015 11:42 PM, Heiko Tietze wrote:

On Friday 02 October 2015 16:46:39 Bryan Quigley wrote:

  * Most other apps aren't using splash screens anymore.  None of the
other apps on my Ubuntu desktop have splashscreens

Gimp has a splashscreen, just to mention one

For comparison on my test "slowed" VM*.
Gimp takes 16 seconds (w splash screen)
And those without splash screens take:
Firefox takes 10 seconds
Gedit take 3 seconds
Cheese takes 7.5 seconds
Shotwell takes 3.7 seconds
Rhythmbox takes 5.3 seconds

I can't believe I forgot to mention that LibreOffice on cold boot
takes 6-8 seconds to start, and on reload takes 3-5 seconds.  There
might be about a 1 second saving having no splash screen on cold
start, but again I don't have enough significance or accuracy in the 6
(3 each) boot tests I ran.

  * It's a reminder of what tool you are using.  For users who don't
like LibreOffice this can cause a negative feedback loop.

Or a positive for those who love LibreOffice :-)
I did mention that the inverse is also true :).

On the pro side
* Splashscreen offers an easy way for branding
Imagine the marketing story - LibreOffice is now so fast that it no
longer needs the splash screen.
On my machine that is already true, as LibreOffice takes maybe 1-2
seconds to load.  Is their a consensus for the number of seconds where
it's pointless to have a splash screen?

* Slow maschines should be taken into consideration
What if showing a splash screen makes these old machines take 14
seconds instead of 12?  I'll see if I can find a real slow machine to
test it on, but would certainly be interested in others results here.
 Ideally we would want to find a machine where LibreOffice takes
longer than 15 seconds to start on..

I'd vote for a configuration switch, if at all, which is on by default.
So the status quo is that you can add --nologo to the libreoffice
command to have no splash screen.  Is that what you are all agreeing
to?

Kind regards,
Bryan

*My slowed VM is just Ubuntu running a VM with only 400 or so MBs of Ram.