Did you even read my previous messages?
I never suggested a massive UI or workflow change so don't go assuming that
I did. Go read my messages here before please.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Sean White <runicpaladin@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Teo91 <mcavalleri91@gmail.com> wrote:

Sean White wrote
Just look at what happened to MSOffice after Ribbon.  Leaving aside the
arguments of
whether it did indeed change things for their better, it undeniably
changed
them dramatically.  This resulted in lots of hate from people that were
force to change their work flow.

That's not the sidebar case: as discussed upper, the idea is provide an
(almost) complete UI aside the existing one,
potentially avoiding any menu browsing. Potentially.
Don't like the sidebar? It's a click away, close it and will disappear as
never existed.
Don't like classic UI? Close toolbars and use the sidebar.
Ribbon affected users workflow because they had no choice: "Take this and
shut up" - MS said.
We are *not* doing something similar.

I think you misunderstood my intent.  My point was to pedro's seeming
suggestion of a massive UI change, or at the very least an abrupt workflow
change.  It's didn't work terribly well when microssoft did it becuase it
DID change peoples workflows too much.  Regardless of personaly feelings of
productivity, massive workflow changes on major products aren't generally a
good thing as MSOffice, Windows 8 and Gnome have all demonstrated.  From
experiences with this mailing list I have a feeling that this is always
going to be a major reason why people won't go with a complete redesign
right off the bat, more a gradual shift towards a design/mockup goal.

Sean White wrote
LibreOffice uses it's own internal toolkit with a custom selection of
UI
elements thus any
massive UI change would require the writing of new UI elements into the
toolkit and
probably the rewritting of a fair ammount of old ones

No more, not in the upcoming future:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/WidgetLayout/FindDialogs
Over 84% of current dialogs have been converted to the new .ui format who
rely on GTK+3 toolkit.
When complete, the plans are (as far as I know):
- convert toolkit used by exstensions
- get rid of hundreds of .rsc files (a .po-like old format used for
translation)
- finally port main windows to GTK+3

There isn't an arrival date, but forget LO own toolkit in the future, it
will be no more a limitation for a UI change :)

The good news is that the sidebar is indeed a dialog docked on the side
and
already converted to GTK since LO 4.2
A potential developers doesn't need to learn a weird old technology,
neither
extending it with new elements.

A sidebar improvement still require time and hard work, but it's notably
simpler now.
Another good reason why this is the right way to finally enhance LO
visual
experience.

I'll admit that I have been out of the Libreoffice loop lately so this is
both new and exciting.  The custom toolkit always struck me a barrier of
entry to any prospective new contributors. I hope the rest of the
conversion goes well then.

Sean White,
Within Temptation - Your Argument Is Invalid