Do we have to make the large icons default to bring in the new design
scheme.  It doesn't add any value and with the current layout of toolbars
actually make the window look ugly on all systems bar Gnome 3 where
EVERYTHING is huge and thus looks equally ugly.

Jokes about Gnome 3 aside, it is still a fact that only IT is making large
things default and on every-other OS (even Win8) the normal sized icons
look perfectly fine and and actually come with the added bonus of being
able to fit more of a toolbar in a confined space such as your average
laptop screen.