On Jun 19, 2011, at 0:35 , planas wrote:

I agree about the users will need to customize the UI for their
particular needs. This is one area where MS made a mistake with the
Ribbon. It is not that easy to customize by the user. On problem I have
noticed with many users is they will not experiment with many of the
features of any software package once they get past a limited period of
learning. They will solve problems often with an awkward work around
never realizing there is much easier way to accomplish the task
available. In fact most users I have seen never modified their tool bars

This is a very good point. I think that users try to learn how to use the program (including
toolbars) as designed, and do not take a lot of time to try to "re-invent" the wheel. One major
selling point of any software is out-of-the-box ease-of-use. The more configurable a software is,
the more confusing. One good point was brought about (I think later in this thread) that users have
use cases. It would be really nice to research these use-cases and then design the interface around
the specific use case. Most IDE tools for developers have a similar approach. If we can find out
how users are using the product - what they are doing and how - then it would be thinkable to have
a set of basic use-cases when starting the different applications. In writer, for example, are they
designing a brochure, writing a letter, or doing a business related tasks with graphs, tables, DB
connections, etc....

in the older MS Office suites. The problem is how make users aware that
these features are available and if they need to use them regularly they
can customize the UI to include them.

PAID COMMERCIAL for Screen-casting Team (Recruiting)  :) :
This is something I am attempting to form a project around, starting with getting a team together
to conceptualize a CI Wrapper for training videos. So, anyone interesting in helping create a theme
wrapper for videos to be posted at a date in the near future, help designing storyboards for said
videos, creating raw footage, doing voiceovers, or composing intro/outro-music for said videos,
please let me know!

///shawn