-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Howard [mailto:imagin8or@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:18 AM
To: design@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-design] New Design and experience

Search: useful for finding less common functionality, but not for common actions. One searches for
information,
rather than for a tool, and most people don't know that there's a tool for what they're trying to
do, so they won't even
think to search for it. However, combining search with a search-as-you-type engine that can
autocomplete/suggest
tools would allow those who know the name of the tool to get it with a few characters. A search
box at the top of the
screen is not context-sensitive, though, so they could be searching for a tool, or for a word in
the document, or for how
to view documents side-by-side. Re: the bold example, recently found tools could be added to a
recent tools bar, with a
little animation. That way the user now has a button to perform the action on the appropriate
chunk of text/cells/object.

I agree. While a great feature, there are a few use cases that need to be resolved. For example, I
would suggest that a
searched command button populate below the search box to be used by the user; that way, we side
step issues of
guessing what the user intended to do.

Tabs: Look fantastic! In Outlook 2007, you can view two calendars side by side by clicking a ->
button on the tab. In
VS2008 you can right-click the tab and make a new tab group. Personally, I prefer the -> button as
it's more discoverable.

Simply +1

Left/right toolbars: Also excellent. Even 4:3 monitors end up with load of whitespace to the sides
as documents are far
longer than they are wide. For spreadsheets, however, the reverse is often true. Presentations are
even worse, because
they are the same shape as the screen, but you could be editing a 16:9 slide on a 4:3 screen, etc.
I think the key is to minimise
the amount of stuff we actually present to the user; everyone runs out of screen space sometimes,
particularly when
viewing things side-by-side, transcribing, opening emails, etc.

I feel that the Calc/Excel example could go many ways. Depending on how the columns and rows are
used, vertical and/or
horizontal space could be important. Unfortunately, your UI must go somewhere. To help reduce this
issue, you can have an
auto-hide button that would remove the toolbar from view until the mouse is hovered over the
toolbar area. Just a thought.

One dock I would love to see is a copy/paste dock, showing recently copied items as well as the
straightforward
Copy/Paste/Paste special, and also automatic creation of common Paste Special links. Having said
that, Word 2007's post-paste
context dropdown that lets you modify the paste after the fact is brilliant, because it's usually
at that moment that you realize
you wanted to paste it differently. The paste dock could let you select something to paste and
then optionally preview the
different paste specials by rolling over them.

Simply +1

Context menus: I would like paragraphs to get translucent handles that can be clicked/hovered over
to change the paragraph
options (mockup http://www.things.org.uk/examples/mockup_context_drawers.png , inkscape .svg there
too). That
dispenses with the paragraph dialog.Repeat for images, etc. In a spreadsheet, Calc could recognise
an ad-hoc table or the
current selection and provide a similar handle to perform actions on the block. The more we can
make context-sensitive and
non-modal interfaces, the better prepared LO becomes for multi-user multi-touch interfaces; one
user can select some
shapes in one corner and perform a union while another user edits some text elsewhere. Because
there are no dialogs, there
is no focus/mode fight between the different users.

Simply +1

Daniel Merker
Computer Engineering Graduate Student
Wayne State University