On May 23, 2011 6:22 PM, "Christopher Stark" <christopherstark@gmx.de>
wrote:>
Am 23.05.2011 22:42, schrieb jlopez777:
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Sveinn í Felli <sveinki@nett.is> wrote:

Þann mán 23.maí 2011 02:49, skrifaði jlopez777:

 Hello all,

Is it the general consensus that ribbons are not needed or not a priority?
Or background colors for writer and impress (both slide background and
slide
overview section background which is white). Just wondering how this could
progress...if not the other things I mentioned earlier, then at least the
ribbons. Thank you.

JL

From lurking on diverse mailing-lists I've understood that 'ribbons (TM)'
are not the main target - actually some of LO/OOo users are
ribbon-transfuges that didn't really appreciate this unilateral design
desicion (and who may care a lot about their screen-real-estate).

I guess 2 questions should be asked here.

1. Who are the target audience for LO?
2. What do they want (proven with verifiable data)?

If we are trying to expand our user base (which I would assume we would)
then my hypothesis would be to adapt to those users.
Why should this be the goal? I think a good product is more important
than "world domination". Especially companies value productivity. If the
productivity of LibreOffice is higher without ribbons why shouldn't they
choose LO over M$-Office.

I guess a better question would be what is the goal of LO? I ask
because I realize there is a good chance that my assumptions might be
wrong. Can we talk about that?

 Of course world domination isn't the goal let's leave those kind of
statements out of the discussion they serve nothing more than to draw
away from the main points of what we talk about.

I highly doubt productivity of ribbons and non ribbons are on the
minds of those companies. People are unproductive bc they have poor
working skills or habits or other variables...not whether or not they
have ribbons.

 Another assumption is
that these new users like ribbons more  since that is what they are being
introduced to (especially next generation of office software users).
Ok so LibreOffice should orient its development on the PR-strategists of
Microsoft? I don't think so.
Just because some users are mislead by an unproductive GUI it doesn't
mean that these users are happy and that it is the right gui-strategy.
LibreOffice should do what is most reasonable and not what is most
marketable!

Again this is why I ask what is the goal? If its to save those who use
ms with a open source alternative then GUI change might be something
to take another look at. Again it doesn't have to be ribbons. It can
be what others suggested. If its just to be the most efficient then
that's a completely different story.

 The
challenge would be how do we working towards new users who might prefer
Ribbon, or ribbon like style, without losing those who do not, which I
assume are more of well informed and knowledgeable computer user and more
concerned about functionality than design/eye candy which I see you address
below.
Who says that ribbons are going to be the industry-standard in the
future?
who says they are not....the industry has ways of uprising us in
thinking what is good vs what actually people prefer.

 I hope LO doesn't just clone strategies of companies without
questioning and rethinking everything.

That's what I hope too. Shouldnt everything include non ribbon design too?

Meanwhile I've seen talks on LibreOffice lists about having an interactive
properties-panel, preferably a vertical sidebar one.
The two could be IMHO basicly the same thing, one a lateral panel, and the
other a sort of toolbar on steroids.

If implemented in a true FOSS-way, the properties-panel would be
customisable, dockable and placeable where ever you like - including in a
ribbonesque position.

I like this since it can get the best of both worlds (not perfectly the best
of both worlds) but giving a good balance between utility and design.
Hm I don't see that a ribbon-GUI looks nicer than a non-ribbon-GUI in
general. There are also other possibilities to make the program look nicer.

I agree and I simply wanted to ask to find out where people stood and
since open source implies being open I wanted to throes it out there.
I do feel that a UI revamp is needed ribbons or not and would be very
dedicated in working with anyone in this area.

Let's Skype to have a more in-depth convo about this since I'm still
being introduce to open source culture. Joed.lopez is my Skype name.

Thanks. JL
Its
not that I don't agree with the idea "the less clicks the better", its just
I believe that if Ribbons aren't the way to go, we still could do a better
job in design layout.

Right.
Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli