Thanks for your feedback on this, Astron. I'll try to address the issues that you pointed out.

Em -10-01--28163 16:59, Astron escreveu:
Additionally, global undo/redo should work. Adding a dedicated [Revert] button to the dialog also wouldn't make much sense (at least to me -- if you anyone can explain its function well, it would be added to the proposal again), because users would not learn that global undo/redo works, and thus would find themselves limited to undoing single changes.
For comparison, in Gimp [Revert] button is very useful. Sometimes you change an image so many times back and forth from inside a dialog that you end up saying: "oh, fuck, I screwed it up; where was I in the beginning?", so you hit [Revert] and smile. Here we have also many options, so it's much the same. You hit [Revert] once instead of Re-Do a lot of times (which might lead to forgetting one step or reverting one step further than what you intended to). As for users learning that global undo/redo works, I guess this would not be a problem since the dialog wouldn't be modal (if I got the 'modal' concept correctly): the document window would stay responsive and you would assume every function there would still work.

>  Plus, I strongly believe we should have 'Automaticaly update this style when
>  formatting is changed directly' right in the formatting or main toolbar, in
>  addition to being able to set it in the Style dialog.
Great idea, I think. But: I'm unsure how to do this without confusing
users who haven't learned that function yet. I think a problem would
be properly coupling that symbol/checkbox with the style selector. It
would also be an additional proposal that belongs to neither the
button proposal nor the redesign of the Paragraph Style dialog. Maybe
you want to add this to the Whiteboard?

>  'Auto-update' option in the dialog). Of course the phrasing could be better
>  (this will be a though one) but the gains would be enormous.
Yes, that's the second problem with your proposal: how do you create
an icon/phrasing for this function?
You're absolutely right on this. I won't have time to work on it until the weekend, but I'll try to learn my way through the wiki and sketching -- I guess an image is a must when you're talking design ;-) Plus I'll try to come up with something incredibly smart on the icon/phrasing, so someone can pick up from my failure :-)

Cheers,
Rafael./

PS.: Ah, I forgot this: if the [style defines:] list is manageable (IMO one of the strongest sides on your very good proposal) we would then have up to 4 ways to undo our style definitions: the list itself, the undo/redo, the [revert] if we stick to it and the [standard]. Just counting so we have another point on keeping or dismissing the [revert] button. And we should also think if we want both [revert] and [apply] buttons, and I do think we want to have [apply] -- someone else (maybe Octavio and Christoph) spoke for this already so I won't do it here.