Hi all,

when I first subscribed to this list a couple of months ago, I had that beatiful idea of helping new users to learn and use styles instead of direct formatting. I since have educated myself a little (this list helped a lot), only to find this is a much more difficult task that I first divised, and that maybe people didn't want to be educated in the same line as I thought they should.

That said, I've been following this discussion closely, and want to add my two cents:

Astron proposition looked pretty good to me, kudos. And I'm with Christoph, astonished by the options and questions raised. I also believe a 'Revert' function is necessary, and remembered Gimp has one in almost every dialog, and that it works very well and intuitively (but they don't have multiple tabs dialogs as LibO). I didn't understand the Version 1 and Version 2 thing, though. Version 1 seems very sane and usable, but is it in substitution to the 'Revert' function? Besides, will 'Revert' take back all active tab modifications (as of today), or all dialog modifications (less intuitive, but perhaps more useful)? I suppose incremental modifications can be left to the Undo function.

Plus, I strongly believe we should have 'Automaticaly update this style when formatting is changed directly' right in the formatting or main toolbar, in addition to being able to set it in the Style dialog. This would allow very fast modification of styles, including indentation, without people having to go too often to the dialog: as much as it is already getting improved, it's still a dialog (and generally you have to go through 'Styles and Format window' before getting to it). So if you could just mark 'Automatically update...' in the toolbar, and unmark it after wanted modifications are done, one could easily format a one page document only using styles. I reckon he could get a little confused if he forgets to unmark the option, but at least it's in front of him, so he could easily spot the source of confusion (the way it is nowadays, one could go hours without noticing the 'Auto-update' option in the dialog). Of course the phrasing could be better (this will be a though one) but the gains would be enormous.

What do you think?

Cheers.
Rafael./