Do you want us to work on single source files for each icon?

Yes, that's the proposal. Makes an automated workflow much easier,
one can give the svgs telling names, etc etc.

Slight change in plan - since the mimetype icons are so similar (in
terms of gradients, borders, colors etc), thought it may actually be
a good idea to keep it in one source file - assigned proper area
placeholder labels therefore, and uploaded the tweaked svg here:

http://users.freedesktop.org/~thorsten/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons.svg

There's a tiny Python script that scrapes the label names from the
svg, and calls inkscape to export individual pngs from it.

It works like this: you make the "Size Placeholder Document Symbols"
layer editable, and (for ease of handling) crank its opacity to
100%. For each column (like Writer), you select one of the
placeholders, and set its Object Properties -> Label. For existing
icons, you notice the naming scheme, e.g. "main_128_hc" or
"main_128". Before running the script, of course you need to set
that placeholder layer opacity back to 0, to not have it visible.

I strongly suggest similar setups, should we even touch other icons.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten