Hi Marc, all,

for discussing design related topics please use the design list.

Some short comments inline.

Marc Paré schrieb:
We have spoken briefly a while ago about this, I was just wondering if
we should also be looking at the design again seeing as the final
version of LibO is approaching.

You can find a design proposal here from Jens Habermann:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:JeHa

And a short discussion on the german list here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.discuss.german/1441

My opinion on the design is that it would be nice if it could be both in
colour and a b/w for burning on Lightscribe DVD burners. There are some
nice Lightscribe discs on the market that are green in colour.

At OOo we had two different designs some years ago:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/cdart/previous_cdart.html#christian_z

And a one color design for lightscribe based on the OOo3 label (not uploaded to the official resources).

I'm quite sure we can do something similar here.

I was also wondering, if the DVD/Case designs are available, am I then
permitted to burn and "Lightscribe" the disc to pass off to people
wanting a copy of the disc? Is this allowable? What would I need on the
disc to adhere to the LibO license?

The designs have not been defined as finalized - Jens didn't have the time to present them on the international lists by now.

Permission is not finally decided either, but the SC is working on a first version of a trademark policy that will cover this area.

My personal opinion is:
- Allowance to use the official label and cover should be granted for CD/DVD that contain the unmodified binaries or the ISO (LibreOffice-DVD) provided by the community. This label will contain a phrase linking to the free download on our download page. - We should provide a label stating "Community Distributor" for CD/DVD by people listed on an officially approved list of distributors agreeing on some conditions for fair and collaborative work. We don't have a distribution team by now, but this should be established in near future. - Other CD/DVD containing our binaries among other software should be allowed to use a logo like "contains LibreOffice", showing clearly, that this distribution is not "our" work.

I would be interested in passing off copies at my school and perhaps
have the library lend out copies for parents to install at home. Burning
a nice looking CD would make it look more professional.

Of course - this is one of our goals in the design team.

If the burning of DVD/Jewel case designs are made easy, I could make
arrangements for almost 55 schools to start off with.

:-)

The labels should be usable for private printing (home printers including lightscribe) as well as professional printing - if someone is interested in creating a multitude of CDs/DVDs (for a fair or similar).

If we can make the process easy for people, we could include this in a
LibO FAQ.

I don't think this should be part of the FAQ:

There are several topics related to visual design and branding, so I would plead for a link to the branding repository (containing the necessary information on how to use the right design for every purpose).

This repository will have to be established - but because of time problems, this might be delayed after the LibO 3.3 release, even if I'd like to have avoided it.

For the next release we'll probably have enough time to provide marketing material in time - this is important for a concerted marketing approach to a new release, but even if we work hard now, I doubt that we'll manage it for LibO 3.3.

Best regards

Bernhard