On 05/26/2011 08:55 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)

Nautilus is sometimes a bit unpredictable and seems to suffer from some weird
bug in dealing with networks.  If i have troubles with it i often find
installing a different file-browser such as Thunar or Dolphin (brings in tons of
bloat unless you already use KDE) are often able to cope but i haven't explored
to find the best file-browser to use because i just keep preferring Nautilus
despite it's occasional glitch.

However it's more likely that the problem is the server itself rather than the
desktop machines, particularly if it's a Windows Server.
Regards from
Tom :)

I use GNOME by default, have added most of the KDE packages since there are many KDE services/packages that works better than GNOME does, but there are other things that I do not like about KDE that stops me from using it as the default desktop. I use Nautilus [? this is the GNOME default, right], but have Dolphin available in the system tools folder.

So if I get your text proper, Nautilus has built in file sharing abilities as long as they are installed. By "default" my install of 10.04LTS has "samba 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.6" installed. This is shown in the Synaptic Package Manager, but the Ubuntu Software Center shows that Samba is not installed. There is also a GADMIN-SAMBA listed there, but it is not installed either. "Nautilus extension to share folder using Samba" is listed as installed. Why it shows Samba installed in one package manager while it is not installed in the other, I do not know.

So the question is what "server" or file sharing software is on the system you are saving the document to, that does not work?