On 01/17/2012 11:58 PM, drew wrote:
Howdy,

Well, someone decided that the English website should go dark today..I
guess if you are reading this you know why.

I would like encourage you to follow your own feelings on this. IMO it's
a good time, if you haven't done it before, to send your congressman and
or senators an email. (My personal experience is that it's much better
do it yourself, don't use one of the canned services..)

The vote in the congress isn't happening till the 24th, so you have
time..

Best wishes,

//drew
Nice gesture, except for those who want to, need to, download the new version of LO today. I was thinking about it myself.

I find my region's Congress reps tend to do what they want, unless their area needs something. Otherwise, you have to "scare" them into doing the correct/right thing. The Patriot Act was bad enough with their secret warrants where the person/group served will go to jail if a "normal" judge asks them if they were served a secret warrant and the person/groups tells the truth and says "yes I was served one". We got rid of some of that secret stuff that Bush Jr. "required" as a right of the government and a president, but anything adding to the laws to lessen our privacy it bad. Also having the ability to filter out web sites or media flow if it is anti-government or something the government does not like [Think China and North Korea], is a very bad thing.

We have to lose some of our privacy to exist in a modern world, but we still have freedom of speech and freedom to use the Internet to view any web site that wants to let you view its contents. If we lessen those two freedoms and allow out Internet use to be legally tracked/copied/read without hard-to-get warrants, then we start moving to a state controlled Internet, like some of the non-democratic countries out there.

Yes, I support a cause to reduce the censorship in our lives. I support the openness of the Internet. I support privacy of the individual or group from government "spying" to see if we are good boys and girls and do not talk against their ideas. Ooops, I guess I may be targeted now by the "thought police", if some of the hard-line/paranoid people in the government gets their way.