On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 17:33 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:
Drew,
Is there going to be a link to the NA-DVD ISO soon?

We have everything done for it.

I just updated the documentation and added the Calc files.

But except for some minor stuff, the DVD is done.

It really is time to get a link to the ISO file published so all the
other folks can download a copy of it and use it, or modify it, for
their own purposes.

I hope to be getting my DVD printer on Thursday, or Friday, so I will be
able to start making some nice looking DVDs for the cases, and print the
double sided papers with the automatic duplexing.  But most of the
people on the list may rather download the ISO file[s] and make the DVD
themselves.

Hi Tim,

I have professionally printed blanks, a dozen that I need to put an iso
image on - for the show in 20 days. Will grab cases and use the print
center at Staples for the cover/insert. That should be sufficient for
SELF2011. I plan to use them a) for table display b) offer 3 or 4 copies
for give-a-way by the show at the closing ceremony. [last year OO.o
donated a printer, this will be much better IMO]

Will send a picture when the sets are finished.

So, are you going to have the ISO file on your portal site?

Can't see why not. Could setup bittorrent also..but let's not complicate
things if there is no real need for it.

Are we going to have it on the TDF site somewhere?

I'd say yes - I think use the portal for a testing image, and as soon as
it's 'thumbs up' move it to the TDF server. I'll coordinate with the
folks on the website/project list on that at the time, will also need to
create the information pages at:

http://north-america.libreofficebox.org/

I was thinking the index page would be pretty much a cut down version of
what is at http://libreoffice-na.us now, to start.

One thing that will/can change the page layout is that we might want to
link to the wiki for some of the details, specifically about creating a
disc-kit. This is something that the Ubuntu LoCo teams have used to
reportedly good results. Have been following along with the conversation
happening with the Ubuntu LoCo teams disc distribution activities for
the Natty roll-out. Particularly the Colorado team in the USA, but also
the California,  also Bangladesh and Sri-Lanka teams.

So this idea of disc distribution, to be effective requires a certain
amount of on the ground activities, this would be my number one take
away from this research time. The teams that leverage the media, meaning
that they get master copies, if you will, of the disc (professionally
done) into the hands of very local LUGS (very, meaning a university or a
town) and instructions on duplicating the disc for hand-to-hand
distribution within that group. These instructions cover the same set of
requirements you and I have discussed, which is to say, different
printing requirements based on budget and more importantly available
print capabilities.

[OK - this is getting long, suffice to say, I have my eye on some
specifics and will get same to a our wiki and post a link]

My problem is that I do not have the ability to have a file that size on
my hosting account, so I cannot host the ISO myself.  I cannot even
email it to someone.  I might be able to open a peer-to-peer transfer,
but that can be a problem.  But we really need to get our work available
for people to download it and use it.

No problem - the server running lo-portal can transfer directly to TDF
servers, will just need Cloph or Eric or ? to initiate from the remote
server, we used this same host account with the OO.o/Sun Micro server
for 2 years, handling off-site storage of the u.s.ooo.o database
backups.

If you want, I can send you the updated Writer and new Calc folders in
ZIP format.  But that is just an update and really not required for the
NA-DVD.

Your right about it time to test.. sure I'll put a test file on
lo-portal.us server. I'll make sure the files I have are current and up
to date with what is on libo-na.us and create a test ISO and start the
upload - expect tomorrow evening to be able to see the iso on the
portal, will send an email as soon as it is done.

This will be the all-platforms files, English, only.

//drew