I resend my mail with a reply to all, I haven't seen that there is other lists in copy, sorry for the double posting on the US list.

Hi Drew,
On 05/05/2011 17:25, drew wrote:
[...]

Hi Sophie, others

Alright - this is the part I find difficult to reconcile "only official
representation". Naturally there are certain functions here, such as
translations where the language based association of individuals should
make a team and that team should have responsibility for that function.

sorry - poor typing

However, once you step past translation work I do not see the clear line
that says this group has official responsibilities with other functions
performed.

The primary goal of our project, in my eyes, is to offer an office suite in the language of the user. To achieve that, you need to put the language at the first place and whatever the history, the politics or the countries where this language exists, try to exists or has existed. An example can be Macedonian [1], but there are others even more touchy.

So to evacuate this issue that is far from the goal of the project, languages are officially represented, not countries. This doesn't hinder the creation of local associations and representations [if it doesn't constrain the members of the language team to enter into political wars, of course, we won't support/endorse political actions in this way too]. This is the reason why also we don't use flags to represent the languages on our sites, wikis, etc.

I hope you understand better my position, but don't hesitate if it's not clear.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute

Kind regards
Sophie