On 01/29/2011 07:09 PM, drew wrote:

Excellent - hopefully you will share with the folks here also.

Yes, although I will send him a personal email. I will wait a couple of days, as I do not want to give the perception that we are worried. I will share my message with the mailing list.

Alright - actually I think you got great coverage all things considered.

We got the coverage. Marketing is always a collective effort. I have just lead the effort as I have a longer specific experience with media relations, although this was the first time that I was addressing US media (but it looks I got it right).

This is a different day, please comment on that here.

Sun has always been a tech oriented company, and has focused PR on the tech community instead of looking for end users and especially for MS end users.

In addition, the company has never seen OOo as a strategic product, and has not tackled issues using a strategic approach (for instance, I have never seen a press release responding to MS announcements, especially when this would have been beneficial for the visibility).

In Italy, we have leveraged MS marketing activities in order to get a better visibility (for instance, when MS has announced support for ODF we have welcomed MS in the world of open standards, but when they have announced a huge discount for MS Office for students we have launched OOo for free but only for students, as a joke).

We have also announced the official crack of OOo for people used to crack MS Office, to allow them to use a pirated product.

When MS has announced Office 2010, we have been very aggressive, and there has been a time when OOo has been more visible than MS Office (because the pressure has generated MS mistakes).

Marketing is strategy and tactics, and you should use them according to the objectives.

Ben Horst would seem like one person to share with if you are going to
stay with private conversations - but I would encourage you to actually
open up and trust the community here.

I trust the community, but I cannot share in a mailing list private details like emails and phone numbers. We must find a way to share them without breaking other people's right to privacy.

In any case, we have just scratched the surface. If we manage to get coverage in the US, we will get coverage everywhere, because US media are the most widely followed.

Ciao for now, Italo

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: italo.vignoli@documentfoundation.org