On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I've been a part of the OOo and now LibO communities for at nearly 10 years
now. I remember watching the purchase and open sourcing of StarOffice by Sun
back in 2000, and hoping I could get it on my Mac soon. That took a while,
but I'm happy it happened!

I live in New York City, but was in LA and Boston before that.

I wrote "The Tiny Guide to OpenOffice.org," which was published in 2004,
and have worked on promoting, documenting and other tasks in my time with
the project. I raised money from volunteers and used it to buy a full page
ad on the back of the free Metro newspaper in NYC for the release of
OpenOffice.org 2.0.

I work for a web development firm as a project manager, and have experience
with many CMSs and the web design and development process. I've been active
lately on the website discussions where I suggested platforms for our wiki
(Foswiki, though it was not selected) and main website (Drupal). Those
discussions have been challenging. :)

I'm interested in marketing/promotion/evangelizing LibO in the USA and
Canada and in education, because I think these are areas where it could be
quickly adopted to the benefit of many, many people. As a former student
myself, I could not have spared even $100 to buy an office software package,
and I want people in that situation today to know they do not have to.

Looking forward to working with you all! I have a list of promotional ideas
I'd like to share soon. I think we should pick one or two specific projects
and make them happen!

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

Ben,

I would be very interested in your ideas, I hope that you will share them
soon, I would love to get started sooner, rather than later.

James