Hi David, all,

David Nelson schrieb:
Hello everyone, :-)

There were some suggestions for content improvement in other threads.
I want to start this thread as a central point for suggestions as I
finalize the content today (I will continue massaging it during the
weekend).

At first: You did a really great job that only could be finished [nearly ;-) ] because you did it this way. Thank you very much!

As everybody will have noticed, it is much easier to comment and work on existing content, proposing improvements and modifications than starting from the scratch. Having your content there allows us to work on specific questions - leading (hopefully) to more contributors and better communication of our ideas.

I don't know if we should differ between textual content and content placement / design questions - and if we should include all of them in one thread instead of adding a tag to the subject of related threads, one on each topic.

(perhaps something like: [test.LibO.org] my topic)

1) I have already taken note that Klaus (and others maybe) would like
the top of the home page content to have a QuickStarter screenshot and
a download button. So I have filed a request with Christian to embed
the shuffler script currently visible at the documentfoundation.org
downloads page [1] with 8 screenshots. This weekend, I will update the
QuickStarter screenshot to an RC1 shot, rather than the initial beta
shot. This shuffler will float right.

You probably mean startcenter instead of quickstarter ;-)

On the left, I'm proposing a text box with a big download button
embedded left, linking to the downloads page.

Sounds OK to you guys?

What's about Christoph's and Ivan's proposals?
Christoph (as UX expert) proposed not only the present screenshot
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bbnG0Hny0SpccJIZsGp72A?feat=directlink

but already a general design mockup for the TDF website that should be considered for the LibO website too:
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/11/website-progress-and-looking-back.html

It already shows the two parted content area (where the right part could be used for the "live" widgets colorbox, blogs and twitter, and the left contain the static ones like download, short description of the main features and advantages for our main target groups).

Ivan's proposal is basically similar:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/7/7a/LibreOfficeSilverstripeWebsiteDraftIvan.png

Both propose to reduce the amount of text on the welcome page, being consistent with the message on the OOo lists when ever an improvement to the website has been discussed:

Users like or dislike a website at first sight - and if they need to read more than a few sentences, they turn away.

Visual appealing is important!

... and if I don't send this mail now (having stopped writing for 4 hours), I won't send it today at all.

So I hope you get my message even if I wanted to write quite a bit more...

Best regards

Bernhard

2) Alex made some suggestions for the Features page and sub-pages. He
is going to post *precise* suggestions in the Todo box in the site
back-end, and I will be reviewing the draft text to take account of
them.

Does anyone else have and comments or suggestions to make? If so,
please post them in this thread. Thank you! :-)

[1] http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

David Nelson