Hi Bernhard, David, all,
On 18/12/2010 14:43, Dr. Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi David, Cor, Sophie, all,

I already wanted to reply to Sophie's mail, but didn't manage to do
so...

David Neslon wrote:
Hi, :-)

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 18:37, Cor Nouws<oolst@nouenoff.nl>
wrote:
In my opinion (but it's only mine ;-), the Dev text should have
its own tab, it may break a little bit the global appearance,
but we really need developers, so I would prefer a less nice
design if they have more chance to get there information faster
and participate :-)

I support your idea, Sophie :-)

OK, will do. Sophie, can you mail me a text in French (I'll
translate) for QA, please? The existing "Get Involved" will become
"Developers", and other project areas (documentation, QA, etc.)
will get sub-pages off the "Developers" page. Sounds OK?

Please don't subsum all the other projects under "Developer".

Oups, yes sorry, you're right, I read too fast before going out. I
thought one tab for developers and another table for the rest of the
contribution under the Get Involved tab.

An artist will never search for a way to contribute under the
"Developer" tab, I doubt the same for marketing, webdesign or
documentation.

yes, you're completely right
In opposition to Sophie and Cor I like the "Get involved" tab very
much. In my eyes this attracts developers too.

Yes, but for Dev, I'm not sure.
What should be done is: - show the broad area of possible
contribution in more graphical way (I know - that needs some
graphics...)

yes, my proposal is also for the short time we have, we will do better
later.
- attract developers in the most prominent way on the "Get involved"
page.

not sure, but, I will follow what you and the others recommended, I'm
definitely not the expert here :)

Even if we need new developers more than any other contributors (I
don't really know if this is true, but I believe what I've been
told), the starting place for contribution should show our community
in a whole. LibreOffice should try to avoid discrimination between
code contributors and non-code contributors wherever it is possible
without negative effects.

I'm quite sure, that it *is* possible to attract developers with
prominent information on the "Get involved" page in (nearly?) the
same way as with a "Developer" tab.

And coming back to the two-level navigation on the top: This would
allow to move directly to a "Developer" sub-category, if we had
(sorry, no graphical devices here at work): (mouse over) |   HOME   |
DOWNLOAD   |   FEATURES   |   GET HELP   |   *GET INVOLVED*   | ... |
DEVELOPMENT   |   DOCUMENTATION   |   USER SUPPORT   |   QA   |
MARKETING   |   DONATE   |

with the second line in lighter green or blue.

yes, but see, you have to add l10n and Design. May be it's a lot of subtab, a bit too much?

Kind regards
Sophie