I find it a little odd that is easier to find the founder's email
addresses (and email them and get a response) than it is to post a
question on the forums website.

First - it appears that you can only log in via federated login
mechanisms.  It would be an understatement to say that I find such
mechanisms problematic and will not use them.  I assume there is some
straight forward mechanism for creating an account on the forum that I'm
just missing.  I'm not generally remarkably incompetent when it comes to
navigating websites, but I could find no way to create an account.

Second - since I can't ask that question without logging in, I attempted
to use the site feedback mechanism to ask.  You use reCaptcha, which is
utterly useless.  These tests are always annoying and when so stringent
as to be unsolvable by normal human means, they are frustrating and
reflect badly on the project.  Not to mention it is annoying that you
feel it necessary to tell Google via the API every time I want to use
your site. I'm not interested in improving Google's marketing profile of
me and it isn't user-friendly to covertly ship my data to Google without
my permission.  In general, all 3rd party APIs are privacy destroying
and almost all of them are offered as a service in exchange for the
value of the marketing data collected on users to the site on which they
are run.  That is, it is not out of the goodness of their hearts that
Google offers these APIs, it is to generate revenue.

I'd suggest that mitigating spam can be accomplished in a
privacy-preserving manner with a human test that runs locally.  There
are plenty of them and they are almost as easy to get running as
Google's, for example:
http://www.sinawiwebdesign.com/blog/topics/programming/jquery-and-php-and-catcha-tutorial/.

-David