On 07/28/2013 11:26 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
Hello,

K-J LibreOffice wrote on 2013-07-28 13:30:

Dies ist die letzte Version der 3.6er Reihe. Für neue
Features, mehr Sicherheit laden Sie unsere neuere Reihe herunter
"This is the last version of 3.6 line. For new features, more security
downlaod one of the newer versions."
The update button will be activated.

This we can do with all EOL-versions, so the people know it is the last
version of this line.

do you mean on the website, or directly in the program? For the latter one, I am not sure if this is technically possible...

Florian

To be honest, a new to LO users may see that there are 3 different versions available for download. This may be confusing to some.

It is possible to add a link to a page that describes "how to choose which version is best for you"type of page.

I do not know that 4.1.0 would be the best to start a user on, personallythat is. Some would say 3.6.7 would be best for business users, but does it have theMSO XML format updates that 4.0.4 and maybe 4.1.0 have?

Personally, I would tell peoplesomething like the following.
3.6.7 - the most conservative version
4.0.4 [4.0.5] - useful for most users
4.1.0 - for users that are early adopters for a version line

Of course the text will need to be written so it would apply to whatever versions are out at the time of the viewing.

There has always been a "sticking point" for me to see the download page default to an "early adopter" version, as named by the release plan page.

Also, as far as I have seen on the lists, there is no consensus on what is the best version to be used by what type of user[s]. Yet, we should have an easy to understand "document" online that would help guide the user to select the best version to download for their needs. This is more important now that we give them a choice right on the default download page.

As for EOL versions. . . The Release Plan states that 3.6.7 was available last week but in 2 week it will be at its "end of life". Unless people read farther, and that text may be confusing to some, they may get the idea that 3.6.7 will not be "supported" after August 15 of this year. I would not want anyone to think that. Sure we would like to have people upgrade to 4.0.4 or 4.0.5, but I do not think we should have anyone think we will not support aprevious product line less than a month or two after its last version comes out.

I really think after "ending" 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, and now 3.6 as a line, we should have some better way to guide our new users to choose which version they should try for their first time downloading and using LO.