Hi Jean-Baptiste, *,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure
<jbf.faure@sud-ouest.org> wrote:
Le 26/06/2013 11:26, Florian Effenberger a écrit :
Sophie Gautier wrote on 2013-06-26 08:07:

For our project (FR), we would like to stay with the same presentation
as we get now i.e presenting the two versions available, see :
http://fr.libreoffice.org/telecharger/
Is that what you mean by language dependent text?

Well, you have a lot of text and then link to an area rather far down
on the page. So IMHO it would be no problem to have that text on a
separate, regular page and link to a separate "button-download-page"
with the version preselected by the link like suggeted already.

I am afraid it does not work because I need to add a link for each
available OS. It seems I can't use a link like

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?lang=fr&version=3.6.6

Well, not yet - but being able to change just one parameter and have
the other selected automatically is also part of the changes I'm going
to implement.

Side note: I do not understand why we have a download page with only the
higher numbered version (currently 4.0.4) when we develop 2 code lines
in parallel. I think the user should have a clear and not restricted
choice between both versions when she arrives on the download page.

And this is part of the rework as well. It is planned to show a page like this:
######
[tab: latest stable (4.0.4), default] [tab: old stable (3.6.6] <white
space />[testing versions 4.1.0rc/3.6.7rc for example] [other versions
(box and portable might not yet be available)]

<buttons for the version selected in the tab, i.e. 4.0.4 by default/>
#######

Hope it is clear what I'm trying to depict :-)

So on the dl-page you will always have the two stable lines available,
and can switch between them with one single click. You can predefine
what should be selected by default using appropriate links (like an
appended ?version=3.6.6 (I'll probably also make it partial match, so
?version=3.6.6 and version=3.6 and version=3 would all select the
current 3.x version, with the two latter forms requiring less manual
change of the links :-)

Also the change OS will be integrated in the page itself. Clicking on
a "change system" link will expand/show an area that allows to pick
between windows, linux deb/rpm/x86/x86_64, mac intel/ppc, box,source)
without leaving the site, and without having to select version and
language again.
Only language selection will be on a separate page, since the list is
so long (but changing language is not needed so much, as the user's
desired language is detected (and defaults to the subsites's language
if the browser lists en-US only) , or page-admins can preselect a
language by using a link, similar to the version selection)

So I prefer to keep the "old" download script and provide the user with
information about each available version. So she can decide which
version is the best for her.

Well - you're making the mistake of thinking in the functionality that
is currently available on the live site. But you must think of "what
little or bigger changes are necessary so that the old style is no
longer needed".

So either it is the ability to place arbitrarily long text in front of
the buttons - this can be easily changed by putting the content-part
of the CMS-Backend into the site. This has also been suggested before,
but when I asked to coordinate with NL-projects, no follow-up occured.

Or it is the possibility to easily switch version (then I think the
tab-like apporach would work pretty nicely)

ciao
Christian