Hi Florian, *,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2013-02-17 12:00:

Florian someone had also mentioned using silver stripe. Seeing as that is
already in place could that be a possibility as well?

I'm not sure. I think Silverstripe mainly serves media for its own sites,
but then, we could easily create a subsite serving only files. I'd like to
hear Christian Lohmaier's thoughts on that, he has most experience, I
assume.

Silverstripe doesn't help organizing files by itself - by default it
also doesn't version files. There's modules that add the possibility
to use versions, but still that would only be exposed to editors by
default, not to regular visitors.

I didn't follow the thread closely, but I think the requirements
include that those versioned copies are also available for regular
visitors.

While it is certainly possible to enhance the code to do so, it would
be retrofitting it. And due to the history of bad requirements
provided by the community, it will take long time to create it the way
people would like it :-)

What is easy is to have silverstripe provide a list of links for files
in a folder hierarchy. But there is nothing that would enforce a
hierarchy for a given file, let's say you download and edit file foo
from category "writer", then I'd expect it to go back to category
"writer" - but doing that is all up to the user who does upload the
files.

For example I don't know what the problem with alfresco was. Only
reason I remember reading here was that people were more familiar with
the other platform for odfauthors.

Also I don't really know who will be using the "file-storage", and I
really lack a list of stuff that the file-storage should (would be
nice-to-have) and must (absolute requirement) be able to do.

ciao
Christian