Hi Robinson,

Robinson Tryon <bishop.robinson <at> gmail.com> writes:

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+ooofuture <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

Silverstripe [doesn't give us organization or versioning for free;
we'd have to add that enhancement ourselves]

While it is certainly possible to enhance the code to do so, it would
be retrofitting it. And due to the history of bad requirements
provided by the community, it will take long time to create it the way
people would like it

The less we need to develop in-house, the better.

Indeed, there are quite a few products for document management
providing the convenient features we need.

What is easy is to have silverstripe provide a list of links for files
in a folder hierarchy. But there is nothing that would enforce a
hierarchy for a given file, let's say you download and edit file foo
from category "writer", then I'd expect it to go back to category
"writer" - but doing that is all up to the user who does upload the
files.

I agree: That setup might put too much responsibility on the user. If
there's no 'sync my files' button or 'git commit -a', then it's going
to be hard for us to keep our repository tidy and organized.

There it would be nice to be able to use a product providing a CMIS
access to the data. Then a user with his branch new LibreOffice 4.0
could open the document directly from the server, check it out, work
on it, and check it back in... It would help keeping the document
repository in a clean state and would all be in the LO GUI.

For example I don't know what the problem with alfresco was. Only
reason I remember reading here was that people were more familiar with
the other platform for odfauthors.

I haven't used silverstripe or alfresco. If someone wants to give me
some credentials to an existing install (user: qubit), I'd be happy to
poke around and learn more about their interaction and workflows.

Well, trying Alfresco isn't that hard... I can help you setting up a
virtual machine for test purpose. Alfresco is the one ECM/CMS I know
best as I used to provide consulting for it years ago, but we can
also have a look at other free software providing CMIS access. A
list (possibly not complete) of products support CMIS can be found
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMIS#CMIS_Servers.

[...]

Please feel free to make comments or update notes on that page. I'd
especially like someone familiar with Silverstripe to fill in
information.

I'll have a look at that page and will possibly add some bits there.
Thanks for starting it.

--
Cedric