Hello,

Marc Paré wrote on 2012-12-05 17:24:

My suggestions is that http://planet.documentfoundation.org/ would now
be the official planet with the nl planets showing in the right margin.
Or as Cedric suggested on the FR list, a setup such as the Opensouse
site would also work[1], The links at the top would show the different
nl planets and NOT the blogs.

I like the general approach, definitely. Setting up various Planets is not a big problem. We can re-use the template if needed, and just adjust the Planet's configuration file, to reflect the localized content. It is even possible, with some work from the infra team, that the local teams can adjust their content themselves, i.e. edit the configuration file Planet uses. For the beginning, it's probably best if I manage the configuration files, until we have some decent web interface. The current setup requires editing of the configuration via SSH.

However, I do have some comments about the effectiveness of that site
which I explained on the FR discuss list. In particular, if we were to
follow such a model, I would suggest:

* links at the top would be nl planets
* link names would all be localised
* there would be a link to the EN planet

This sounds sensible to me.

* all articles showing on the landing page would be those of official
TDF/LibreOffice news (no EN blogs other than an Official TDF blog would
show on this landing page)

Does this mean you want to have two English blog pages, like one official, and one nonofficial? I am not sure if this makes sense. The official English feed is the TDF blog, and so I think the landing page should contain all English blogs, including the TDF one, but not exclusively the TDF one.

* offer registrations offering members the option of picking favourites
(nl planets), permitting them to see only the planets of their choice
once logged in (allow members to be logged in over an extended 7 days to
promote regular visits to the site)

The current software we use, Planet, does not allow for that. I am not sure if there is a software offering that, and I am not sure if that makes sense. Anyone who'd like to have their own compilation of blogs can use a feed reader of Google reader anyways. Maybe we can hint at such a solution, instead of investing time in reinventing the weel?

* IMO, we should eventually work towards a "one TDF login does all" for
all of our sites. This will allow us another metric for marketing
purposes -- even better as these members would be more engaged members.

This is one of the long-term goals the infra team has. Unfortunately, it is not quite easy to achieve, we have been discussing and researching on this for quite some months now. It is on the todo, but I don't expect it to happen short-term, it requires lots of development on our own, and makes installing new tools more complicated, since the approaches in single sign-on (OpenID, LDAP, whatever) is different or even totally lacking.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Jabber: floeff@jabber.org | SIP: floeff@iptel.org