Hello,

we received the news that our ISP will be much more restrictive about IPv4 addresses in the near future, probably beginning in early December.

Right now, their pricing is 1 € per extra IP, and for our subnet with 30 usable IPs, we pay 22,50 € per month.

In the worst case, they will charge 5 € per extra IP and month in the future, which woulde produce additional costs of more than 100 € per month. We have no pricing details yet, so the above is based on assumptions.

However, this will mean that very shortly, we might run into the situation that we can not provide IPv4 addresses generously anymore for virtual machines, not even for all productive ones.

Ideally, we can at least migrate some internal services exclusively to IPv6, but this won't work for all public services. In this case, we then might have to use port forwarding and proxying.

I hope we can avoid most inconveniences, and keep a safe amount of IPv4 addresses, but I wanted to warn all of you already now that the luxurious situation we are in at the moment might end soon.

It definitely makes sense for anyone who runs testing VMs or internal services to make yourself comfortable with IPv6 *now*. Should your ISP not provide native IPv6 connectivity (which unfortunately is true for most ISPs around the globe), have a look at http://www.tunnelbroker.net, http://www.sixxs.net or google for "6to4".

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Jabber: floeff@jabber.org | SIP: floeff@iptel.org