Le 2012-10-05 08:14, C a écrit :

This was one of the major reasons behind not migrating the OOo wiki (a
few years ago).

Some things that people are maybe not considering when they say that
WYSIWYG editor is a make/break for the LibreOffice Wiki:

  - MediaWiki is not obscure.  This is the Wiki engine that drives
Wikipedia.  If "normal" people manage to contribute to Wikipeidia by
the millions, I'm sure that the same people are smart enough to handle
the exact same Wiki engine on the LibreOffice Wiki.

Well, there are countless ways to rationalize this. We could say that contrary to MediaWiki which attract a large variety of people with different skillsets, LibreOffice, on the other hand, specializes in servicing WYSIWYG users, in a very heavy way. So, if we are to try to gain good wiki contributors from our pool of users, it would stand to reason that we would offer WYSIWYG tools for them.

Seems kind of pointless to attract WYSIWYG people, and then offer the same people text editors as tools to develop their own wiki site. Just seems counter-productive to me. I dunno.

Even MediaWiki has come to the same conclusion in increasing their roster of contributors:

"The decline in new contributor growth is the single most serious challenge facing the Wikimedia movement in the year 2011. Removing the avoidable technical impediments associated with Wikimedia's editing interface is a necessary pre-condition for increasing the number of Wikimedia contributors." [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor#Rationale]

  - There are many extensions in use on the current MediaWiki that are
often not easily duplicated on a new Wiki engine.  A migration to a
new Wiki will mean that every page in the 3.3Gb of data will need to
be validated and in many cases rewritten - the migration tools cannot
(usually) handle the custom code syntax that is linked to the many
extensions in use.  These exceptions (on a huge number of pages) will
have to be manually migrated... page by page.

Yup, a big undertaking that would be comparable to removing all of the extra code out of LibreOffice. I agree. But, it could still be done.

  - There is a MediaWiki extension for LibreOffice.  Why not promote
the use of that extension?  If it's not good enough, then it
should/could be tagged for improvement (GSOC maybe?).

I'd rather prefer some developer looking into the code of the existing
WYSIWYG extensions for MediaWiki to make it work with 1.21.

This would be an excellent idea. But ... finding a dev to work on it ... is another thing. I am not really sure why it is still showing on LibreOffice suite if it is not being worked on. It has been broken for quite a while.

This is a much better option.  The issue is not that there is no
WYSIWYG editor, just that the currently available ones do not work
with the latest Wiki engine.  That's something that can be solved with
a LOT less effort than what would be required for a full on migration.

- As Florian noted (and linked), there is a new WYSIWYG editor in
development.  (works fine in Chrome on Linux by the way)

Yup. It is still in development and a little more active now.

All this is not to say a migration is a bad idea... but you have to
realize the incredible amount of work this will require.  I think
Florian is being kind and underestimating the work by saying "MONTHS".

C.

I think we are all aware of the daunting task. Florian has been great at moving us onto the newest and brightest from Wikimedia which is a large task, and, for which I am grateful. But, it just doesn't have that appeal to our much needed content contributors when they need to learn a completely new language to publish materials when they have done as much as possible to get away from it by adopting our WYSIWYG office suite.

Anyway, hopefully some day the visual editor will appear on the wiki. One can only hope.

--
Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com