On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Florian Effenberger <
floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Hello,

today, I received the following information from our ISP:

 A maximum of one "/28 Subnet" only can be allocated per server:

/29 (6 usable IPs) – 5.40 euros per month (plus Flexi Pack)
/28 (14 usable IPs) – 11.20 euros per month (plus Flexi Pack)

We are in the lucky position to have ordered a /27 subnet a few weeks ago,
but I expect that when we migrate machines, we might be forced to get along
with less IPs than we have now.

This means that very soon, for any testing virtual machine, we can *not*
allocate IPv4 addresses anymore, so it will become *mandatory* for those
involved deeper in infrastructure to deal with IPv6.

I therefore recommend that everyone checks out their IPv6 capability, the
sooner the better. In case your ISP does not provide native IPv6
connectivity, mechanisms like 6to4, or alternatively SixXS, can provide
tunelling.

I am sorry for these new restrictions, but given that IPv4 addresses run
out worldwide, it was a development to be expected.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Legal details:
http://www.documentfoundation.**org/imprint<http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint>

--

 is there a reason to use so many static ip's versus using subdomains or
named based virtual hosting when needed.

I believe there is plenty of ipv4 subnets available. But the restrictions
are getting tighter from IANA and must be justified.

IPV6 is taking off these days with most service providers starting to
deploy the routes for the prefixes. I think we are a  year or two out
before this becomes standard in all countries.

Masekela Walls
Web Security Analyst | Senior Server Administrator
Powserve.com / Gemini ISP Networks