Hi everyone,

Le 2012-09-03 07:40, Fabian Rodriguez a écrit :
Le 09/02/2012 08:47 AM, Florian Effenberger a écrit :
Hi,

oprea.luci@gmail.com wrote on 2012-09-01 22:31:
Question: how many languages ​​so far requested a forum?

looking at this thread, less than five, IMHO.

Florian

I bet if you post the same question on the downloads page the answer
will be different :)

Cheers,

Fabián

Sorry for jumping in late on this thread, family-time off etc.

Re: forums -- I think creating forums will be a heart wrenching experience, but, eventually, we will have to put one up. IMO, there is no need to keep putting it off anymore. The use of OpenOffice forums to service the LibreOffice users is unpractical and, let's face it, OpenOffice is a competitor product and using anything OpenOffice just perpetuates a brand that we, as far as I know, do not want to cultivate.

IMO, we should jump in and start off with the international EN forums, offer other language groups the chance to move their forums under the umbrella of the TDF/LibreOffice project where they will get better brand recognition. Starting off with the larger "international EN" group will allow us to "tweak" the forums at a quicker pace as we would, presumably, have a larger contingent of moderators for this group.

As far as getting a certain amount of language groups to attain "critical mass" before entertaining the creation of a TDF/LibreOffice forums, does not seem to make much sense. The large language groups have already regrouped under their own forums and will most likely dread at the thought of starting over again. The smaller language groups are those who will likely jump at the chance of getting recognized on a sanctioned LibreOffice forums.

I think we all recognize that initially we were hopeful that the OOo + TDF/LibreOffice could reconcile their differences, but, it has not materialized. We need to regroup, regain our lead in our own TDF/LibreOffice forums. An unfortunate and difficult choice, but, we do need to offer this last service to our users, and, IMO, in the end, I think we will get positive results.

We just have to make the decision to go ahead.

Prior discussions re: the choice of forums software has already taken place. I doubt we will get any other outcome if we are to re-do the discussion again. The choice of either phpBB or jForum was arrived after discussion, and I believe whoever is our main forums maintainer should have a greater say on the choice. Both of these packages are good choices.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré