Hi Clayton

Le 2012-05-02 07:35, C a écrit :

FCKEditor messed up quite a lot actually.  Back in the "good old days"
with the OOo Wiki, there were a lot of complaints about the editor
messing up pages - not breaking them so much, but messing up the
history/view changes because it would reformat the whole page for a
small change... contributors couldn't see what was actually changed
after an edit.

I wasn't around for OOo wiki work, but in my experience with FCKEditor, I used it quite a bit working on various TDF pages and found that the editor worked fine if you did not work on large amounts of texts. The trick was to shorten your sections up. I know that it was not perfect, but it worked fine with me as long as I kept the sections small. Where it failed is when I tried to modify a wiki page that was written up previously in WikiText but it was a large document with no breaks; in this case even the smaller edits could result in lost data or a munched page ... I got used to saving copying the original text in a text editor and saving my changes (Ctrl-C) to memory before hitting the "Save button.

It's not (yet) tagged as valid for MW1.18, but I've expect it to be
updated (or even just work).

I haven't tested the extension, but things to look out for:
  - does it "helpfully" reformat a Wiki page for small edits? This
shows up on pages that are created edited in the traditional mode and
then edited using the WYSIWYG editor
  - will it work with extensions such as EasyHacks, ParserFunctions,
SyntaxHighlight, Widgets etc. Extensions that do a little magic like
ParserFunctions are particularly fragile in WYSIWYG editors (in my
experience)?
  - does it handle Templates in a logical manner?

Probably others, but those are the ones off the top of my head that
caused me grief in the past with the old FCKEditor based extensions
(there have been a couple over the years).

If you get to the point where you installed it and need someone to test it, let me know, I'll give it a try to see if it hiccups for text work that I would put it through.

Would still be nice to have it. [grin]

Cheers,

Marc