On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 15:12 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
Hi Drew

Le 2011-11-27 12:23, drew a écrit :
On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 17:10 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

sorry for the short reply, has been a long weekend:

Marc Paré wrote on 2011-11-26 22:42:
I am a little confused as to why we are looking at "Askbot".
I see Ask bot as a great addition. But independent, we voted for
"real" forums, so we should work on these as well, of course.

But, that's no criticism towards Askbot - I really like the idea and I
think it brings great benefit to us.

Florian

Is there a way we can integrate it to pull up forum posts as well. Lets
say someone search for something and ask bot finds it in the forums is
it possible to have ask bot link to the forum post for instance?

Howdy,

A couple of ways to skin that cat.

One way is to use a CSE from google.

As an example I've just configured a rather simple one - no weighting or
special filters - for you to look at here:
http://lo-portal.us/libo/

This will search the primary Libreoffice resources:
Main site
Mail archives
Wiki
on-line help
on-line documentation
extensions and templates repository
libreofficeforum

some example searches (can not export, theme, osqa)

But this approach has a few issues.

anyway - that's just one way and thee are a few others.

//drew

Does this answer the question re: using Askbot to search the forums?

<IMO>
Of course it does, on one level - if all you want is AskBot and
(Forum-x) then those are the only sites you index, or reference, for a
particular CSE.

However - on another level, the important issue is putting together a
system (which in this case is multiple services) that help the user find
their answer without having to ask the question. It does not matter if
it is via a BBS style forum, a QA style forum, a mailing list style
forum, the help system or the user documentation - the goal is to
develop the best possible solution that will maximize the possibility
that they find the answer, assuming it is already there someplace.

This however calls for more then just adding URLs into the search list,
it also requires having some processes in place in the different
services that flag solutions and then weight the search results so that
those items are preferred for display to the user.

It
looks like your example is a Google search of LibreOffice site resources
but not an Askbot search. If we are talking specifically of a forums
search then a good forums package will have their search window
optimized for their forums discussions.

Right - but stove piping is exactly what you want to avoid - there is
value in networking - so i would not limit any search to TDF resources
alone, if the answer already exists on one of the independent sites, or
say if the user asks a question about LibO on Ubuntu then why not search
the relevant Ubuntu resources also, and then the user should be directed
to where ever the answer resides.

</IMO>

This, unless we decided to
expand the search into different areas of the LibO site as you example
would suggest.

Cheers,

Marc

--