Hello,

a few days ago, I finally managed to call Manuel regarding the planned wiki farm. First of all, thanks a lot, Manuel, for helping us - I am sure your Wikipedia experience will be of great benefit to all of us!

The status quo is that we have one wiki, where all content is put in. We have mechanisms for multi-language content, but still, it's a wild mix.

Manuel and I were planning to set-up two wikis in the future: one (English-only) TDF wiki, where official TDF content like conference calls will be added, and several LibreOffice wikis, one for each language.

The former will be http://wiki.documentfoundation.org, the latter ones e.g. http://de.wiki.libreoffice.org and http://fr.wiki.libreoffice.org. The LibreOffice wikis can be linked with interwiki links, so we could have a direct link from de/Spende to fr/don and it/donazione

The magic trick about it is that the wikis will be built as a so-called farm, where we have one MediaWiki set-up that is automatically deployed to all instances, one shared user database and one shared upload directory, plus shared templates. The configuration will be very similar, and only certain databases and configuration settings will differ between those wikis. This makes managing the wiki farm fairly easy.

In order to achieve that, we want to start with a "tabula rasa". The currently existing wiki will be moved to something like http://oldwiki.documentfoundation.org. The new TDF wiki will be wiki.documentfoundation.org, and the LibreOffices wikis at de.wiki.libo, fr.wiki.libo and the like. We will start with a new user database, no pages, no uploads, in order to get rid of some old stuff that might not be needed anymore -- a lot happened in the last year. ;-)

People can then register at the new wiki farm again, and manually put uploads and pages to the new wiki if they are needed. The rest will, after a certain amount of time, be taken offline and archived.

@Kendy: Shall we integrate the help wiki into that, or is it better to have it hosted separately as it is now? I tend to the latter one, but you have more insight on how data is fed into there.

Two concrete tasks will go with this:

1. The installation and configuration of the wiki farm itself, which will be done by Manuel (thanks again for that!). Alin from the admin team (thanks also! ;) has volunteered to take care of the technical side like setting up DNS entries and VHosts, and I will ping both of you offlist to coordinate on that.

2. Finding some wiki power users and admins who are willing to give feedback, like what extensions are needed, what configuration is desired, how categorization should take place and the like.

Action item #2 is what I want to achieve with my e-mail here. I would like to ask all of you to add your desired configuration, extensions, categorization and any other things you have spotted to http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/NewWiki so we can include them. It would be great if those people interested in joining our "new wiki team" add their names to that website, so we can reach you.

Thanks, and happy wiki-ing! ;)

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108