On 08/19/2011 04:29 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi *,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions<webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:
I re-found HTTrack web site copier. [Windows and Ubuntu versions]

So I decided to download the entire CMS site version of the NA-DVD project.
No need to do it that way. The scripts on the server and the export of
the HTML pages already does this.

Did not know that was in there.
This way, I can make sure that I have all of the linked files and with all
the proper file/folder trees in tack.
Not sure what you mean with "in tack" - but that's what the framework does.

Many "save entire web site" changes the folders and links.
You create the export of the html, run the "gather everything that is
linked" script over those html pages (i.e. to see what files and
themes to also copy), and copies that to the html pages. burn it to
iso and you're done.

There is no need to use a webcrawler for this.

If you're just interested in the theme, just download the german iso,
it has all that, the css is the same after all, and you can play
around with css as much as you like.

Currently I am 2.5 hours in the download process, with 387 file and 845MB
downloaded.  [about 0.10 MB per second download speed]
Hmm. That's rather bad, unless your connection doesn't allow for more.
The servers have a GB connection, and the static files are served by
apache directly.

Yes, that is slow, but it seems to default to "background" work so you will not use all of your bandwidth. I had not figured out all of the options.
  Once the entire site
is downloaded [3 to 4GB] then I will not need to download any more large
sessions, just update sessions.
But again I'm really asking myself:
Why the heck are you just unwilling to give the established process a try?
It was especially created to *NOT* have to crawl the site, to *NOT*
shuffle tons of GB around for this.

Well, as I said, I did not know that export feature was available. I have not had much success with the CMS interface. Seems to me that it is not as intuitive as I wish it to be. I want to have a copy of the project offline so I can do some editing and testing to see what changes would look better before they are done online.

AS for the German ISO, last time I saw the list, the German ISO was the old theme. Actually I have the theme already on my system, but it is the new folder structure, with the assets and other file/folder structures, that I wanted to get a copy on my computer.
Actually I have found some download errors with the openclipart folder
files.  The exact path is not shown, since they shorten the displayed path.
  Right now the "fall2010" and "halloween2010" archives have errored out.
Sorry, but that's a useless description.

"the exact path is not shown" - are you serious? what crappy crawler
is that then?

http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/assets/artwork/clipart/openclipart/openclipart-fall2010-full.zip
as linked from http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/en/artwork/
does exist, so does
http://dvd.north-america.libreofficebox.org/assets/artwork/clipart/openclipart/openclipart-halloween2010-full.tar.gz

So if you meant to point out a problem with the silverstripe-based
site, you have to be more specific.

That is another reason I want the file/folder structure. The width of the window showing the downloads and any errors was not wide enough to show the full path.

As for a crappy crawler, I have no experience with crawlers, so I have now way to compare.

As for paths, I prefer ones that are not 3 or 4 folders deeper than the calling page. Actually, it is up 1 or 2, then down 3 or 4 folder levels to linked file[s]. As a former hand coder of web pages, I was taught to make it as easy to use as possible, and as easy to program as possible. My mainframe programming professors did not like complex paths either. Why have 2 or 3 folders deep to hold one or two files, when you can have them in one group in one folder. Keep it simple. If you want to have people browser a DVD instead of using the HTML files to browse it, then you need to keep the folder paths from being deep.

The CMS system seems to be designed to make programming a web site not very easy. With a brain that has suffered from 3 strokes, it make my life much better if the system is simple to use and the final code is easy to understand.

ciao
Christain