Hi Cor, hi all!

Thanks for the feedback ...

Am Samstag, den 02.07.2011, 01:02 +0200 schrieb Cor Nouws:
Hi Christoph + all people working on this,

Christoph Noack wrote (02-07-11 00:07)

during the last days (weeks?) I've worked on an improved download page
proposal. Before I re-state all the information, please have a look at:
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2011/07/improved-download-page-proposal.html

Fine details. Good that wordings are chosen to describe various versions
etc.

I started to work on the wording some time before the recent release
announcement ... so now it might be even a bit different to what we've
used in the announcement. So maybe this needs a bit revision as well as
serious proof-reading.

Only one scenario is missing:
  - In one or two months, the 3.4.x version will be our default.
  - Still, there will be the 3.3.x versions released and made available
for the conservative deployments or those having more to do (something I
can hardly imagine ;-)  than test / integrate / roll out new versions of
LibreOffice.
So a description is needed for that too.
(Rock solid or so. See
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/07/01/libreoffice-3-4-1-provides-stable-new-features-for-every-user/
  - hmm, where are the colors of the table gone?)

To quote myself (to be found in the Design Decisions section): "Although
there might be several releases available at the same time, I decided to
only offer two releases at the same time on the download pages. Offering
more official releases might confuse less experienced users (although it
can easily be done within the proposed structure)."

More detailed, when I've started to work on that page, I even considered
three different versions to cover "ultra stable", "balances stability
vs. features", "contains only latest features". You can even find the
early descriptions in the wiki (history):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page&oldid=26394#Versions_Descriptions

But (especially) due to Marc's comments I was made aware that more than
to options might be really confusing - not counting RCs, Betas, the SDK,
etc. And, my aim was to get a stable site without the need to add /
remove items people might search for later (because they are unaware of
our release scheme).

Consequently, looking and the release schedule (or the graphic you've
linked to, which explains it very well) I came to the conclusion that
"default = rock solid" and "latest features = bleeding edge". If this is
wrong, no worries, since the proposal easily handles three different
versions at a time.

The details can be found on a dedicated wiki page. I hope that all the
questions that might arise are answered there:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page

Looks great to me - pls implement it tomorrow ;-)

Hehe, still searching for help ... I can provide the colors, the
graphics and such stuff. So if anybody may help starting "yesterday",
then please raise your hand ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph