Hi Christoph, *,

Christoph Noack wrote (04-07-11 23:44)
Only one scenario is missing:
   - In one or two months, the 3.4.x version will be our default.
   - Still, there will be the 3.3.x versions released and made available
for the conservative deployments or those having more to do (something I
can hardly imagine ;-)  than test / integrate / roll out new versions of
LibreOffice.
So a description is needed for that too.
(Rock solid or so. See
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/07/01/libreoffice-3-4-1-provides-stable-new-features-for-every-user/
   - hmm, where are the colors of the table gone?)

To quote myself (to be found in the Design Decisions section): "Although
there might be several releases available at the same time, I decided to
only offer two releases at the same time on the download pages. Offering
more official releases might confuse less experienced users (although it
can easily be done within the proposed structure)."

I had the impression that there are various moments in the release-line, that we have default + rock-solid + bleeding edge

Looking again, that is not so strongly noticeable; but one must understand that any company is not likely to change to new versions soon. Example: the work with 3.3.3, released is 3.4.4 as very stable, and 3.5.0 as thrilling new... But, thinking again, when there are only releases on two lines, e.g. once releases for 3.5 start, there will be no 3.3 releases, the 'offer two options only' fits perfect. Because: the company that deploys 3.3.x and wants to upgrade, will have to choose 3.4.x or 3.5.x or wait.
Thanks for helping me so far :-)

Consequently, looking and the release schedule (or the graphic you've
linked to, which explains it very well) I came to the conclusion that
"default = rock solid" and "latest features = bleeding edge". If this is
wrong, no worries, since the proposal easily handles three different
versions at a time.

OK so that would look as follows: as long as there is no 3.5 release:
  3.3.x is rock solid, and 3.4 is bleeding edge
once there is a 3.5 release:
  3.4.x is rock solid, and 3.5 is bleeding edge
Hmm, I think we need to use more descriptions, depending on the versions involved.

Example: according to the release plan, 3.3.5 and 3.4.4 will be available in the same period, and are rock solid and very stable.

Regards,
Cor

(Interesting to see how we work on better descriptions / explanation of the releases etc, on this and other lists :-) )
--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org