Le 2011-06-24 22:45, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2011-06-24 21:48, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
Hi Marc, *,

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Marc Paré<marc@marcpare.com>  wrote:
Le 2011-06-24 09:42, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org>    wrote:
forwarding this remark, maybe someone wants to have a look?

changed to ..."free" (in the sense of "freedom" or "liberty")...

Well, in reality, in French and Spanish, it does mean "freedom" and not
"free" ,
Nah, freedom as in the noun, no. that would be liberté, wouldn't it?
Je suis libre, j'ai la liberté de faire ce que me plait.
I am free, I have the freedom to do what I like.
(I'm free to choose, as opposed that I'm getting something for free,
i.e. without having to pay)

Do you disagree?

ciao
Christian

Yes as you say: it does mean "free" in English but as "freedom" in English, not as the word "free of charge" which is "gratuit". In this case you are using the adverb "libre" and its corresponding noun "liberté" which mean the same = freedom.

Anyway, these are all semantics. The fact remains that the way you qualified the "free" (in the sense of "freedom" or "liberty") is fine for those who are not native to the language which is the what the statement attempts to do.

Cheers

Marc

Sorry should read: adjective rather than adverb

--
Marc Paré
http://www.parEntreprise.com