Hi Christian, *

Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
Hi Bernhard, *,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Bernhard Dippold
<bernhard@familie-dippold.at>  wrote:

The mail message number at the TDF mail archive is not the message number in
the mails header and thus not the one to be used to get a specific mail.

The archiving is done by a different software than the mailinglist
handling. So not sure whether there is a way to guarantee consistency
even if we tried.

That was one of the reasons to add the mail-archive.com headers [...]

Should we provide consistent mail numbers, allowing people to refer to the
right mail numbers from the archive?

Referring to mails by ID like that is very fragile, better use msg-id
or a hash like from mail-archive.com, that way you can restore them.

I wanted to find an easy way to get the msg-number in order to reply to any message even if I haven't been subscribed to the mailing list when the mail had been sent.

With the [list]+get-[msg-number]@[subsite].libreoffice.org message retrieval this is possible, with mail-archive.com it's just a reference.

But as I found out that the number is part of the header (in Return-Path), I can handle this without the need for synchronized archives.

I don't know if there is a wiki page on mailing list subjects, but if there is, it might be worthwhile to add a phrase about the get function and the place where to find the message number.

[...]

Thank you for the fast and helpful reply!

Best regards

Bernhard