Hi Christoph,

Le 2011-06-19 08:27, Christoph Noack a écrit :
I really like Nik's mockup. I have never been really comfortable giving
more prominence to the download to LibO v3.4. We should be pushing out
v.3.3.3 to people, and, as Nik's mockup so aptly displays it, v.3.4
should be a special version for people who are interested in "bleeding
edge" LibO. I like the fact that this has been put to a less prominent
space and in gray. It offers regular users a safe "green" route and
still gives people who would like to experiment with the newer v.3.4 the
side bar which clearly give the impression that it is an option that is
not suggested for those who want the solid and "true tested" version 3.3.3
There are even some more issues - according to the discussion of Kendy's
adopt-o-meter idea, there may be three versions at the same time that
might be interesting for different user groups (without thinking about
RCs, Betas, Daily Builds).

My opinion so far: I don't know if I really like the idea of the adopt-o-meter as I think it adds a little more confusion to the choices. There are really only 2 choices: the stable v.3.3.3 or v.3.4. The adopt-o-meter tries to make the choice of version a little more of a sophisticated method, albeit, a very sexy way of choosing the version. But, I favour a plain method to download the distro: our stable version is v.3.3.3 and if you want to get our "bleeding-leading edge version" then get v.3.4. I think that Nik's mockup represents a very simple downloads page with the choice being very clear and obvious.

Furthermore, any work on our download site does not fix the "other
places in the web offer the latest version without any notice" issue.
Still thinking about a potential solution.

Should these other pages not point to our download page which would remain static? In these cases,I don't think people would mind being re-directed to the "official" download page.

Cheers,
Christoph

Cheers,

Marc