Hi Kendy, Cor, all,

sorry for stepping in so late - being busy with reading tons of mails and marking important ones...

Cor Nouws schrieb:
Hi all,

Jan Holesovsky wrote (16-06-11 18:31)

1) Change the main page as following:

   http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/libreoffice/libreoffice-home.png

 2) Add the same download button (Get LibreOffice 3.3.3 for Windows) to
   the http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ page too; for fast access.

So - any objections to the proposed change of the main page, please?

Adding direct download buttons to the main page and the download page is in fact an important point for "1-click-and-buy" users.

But we definitely need to anticipate *what* they want to get - otherwise the (huge) download is worth nothing but a reason for distrust and negative public recognition for LibreOffice.

And at least the people I know (there are a few with such an attitude) want to get:
- a really stable office suite
- in their language
- including offline help
- with a single installer (not having more than a few steps)

(without unnecessary bits and parts, if they find out the reason for the large download)

Providing the one-click download button is one of the preconditions for more downloads and happy users, but something like an opportunity to download the help during the installation process (and perhaps just the language packs and wordbooks in the installed languages too) would be necessary too.

One positive side effect of the proposal is that it helps getting people
the most stable current version, 3.3.3.

+1 (even if this can be done with the current website design too)

(And not so easy 3.4.0 without thinking about what they do)

However, at a certain point we have to choose to change from 3.3.x to
3.4.x on the main page. And thus think about how to visually inform
visitors about that change (and the still present choice for them to
stay with 3.3.x)

It's our task to show the people the differences between the different versions.

And it's a marketing task to define which version fits best for which target group. We didn't define by now when we recommend home and business users to switch from LibO 3.3.x to LibO 3.4.y.

This has to be done by our marketing based on the user experiences with the previous versions (for LibO 3.4 I think we'll have to wait for 3.4.2).

Is this detect the OS of user? such as Ubuntu user will get link to
ubuntu version, etc...

No, the proposal is to provide a download button for windows only, and
an additional link "other versions".

I am far from sure that it is OK to mention Windows, handling users of
another OS as second class...
Why not make that 'button' adapting itself, as on the OOo home page?

This is very important if we don't want to get more negative public feedback.

Why should we present a Windows download button to Linux or Mac OS X users?

And yes, my objection is that you don't have help included in the
download

Indeed - so with help it could be done so that together with the start
of the download, a webpage can open with something like "Thank you for
downloading LibreOffice x.y.z! You might be also interested in
downloading help: [language chooser for the help]."

Is this possible with SilverStripe?

That might be possible. Another option could be changing the installer,
so that after installation people get informed about additional Help to
download if they so wish.

I'd prefer this way (but not after, but included in the installer)

(let alone that you make the other OS "second class citizens"

Yes; on Linux, my preferred approach is that people should be encouraged
to use their distro offering. But of course this still leaves the Mac
OSX users without 1st class access to the downloads, that's true.

Don't like the idea to 'discriminate' non Windows users.

So there is potential improvement in the proposal, but IMO some more
gain within reach, and thought about the nearby future needed, before
implementing.

This topic has already been addressed not only by the design team (see Nik's mockup here: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:PROP_DownloadsPage_110606NS.jpg) but by native lang teams too (like http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/DE/LODownload).

We need to co-ordinate it here and invite design and marketing team to contribute their expertise.

Is anybody here able to spend some time on this topic, invite the other teams and make this improvement come true during the next week(s)?

If so, please raise your hand!

Best regards

Bernhard