Hello everyone,

I've read several comments about the SC shunning away from its responsibilities.
I think it would be fair to remember that the SC is a group of people (who are not perfect) who had
the guts to break away from Oracle. They had the guts to leave a project they had been contributing
to for years (sometimes more than ten) and to face difficulties, uncertainty, doubt, the hatred
feelings of people they had been working with (some Oracle employees). The SC members got a vision
and are working hard to achieve it.

To say that we shun away from our responsibilities is I think unfair. But we certainly made
mistakes. One of them is that we felt a website team could organize itself and that the mailing
lists in general could run smoothly. It was often the case that it worked (and it's working) but
when it comes to the website, it's obviously not true. We should have understood that something was
wrong when the Drupal fans continued to discuss, unabashed and unfazed by the results of the CMS
platform contest that had *clearly* nominated Silverstripe and tagged Drupal as *an option in the
future*. We should have shouted and taken clear actions when we saw this website was being sunken
into unproductive messages about a solution we hadn't picked but that some people felt they were
still entitled to pursue.

I am going therefore to apologize to several people and for several things (see below). One thing
I'm not going to apologize for, however, is to have a written and recorded decision that the SC
chose one solution that some people haven't read about or listened to. Our message was clear ever
since the beginning: Silverstripe, and perhaps, later, Drupal. We cannot be blamed for the mistakes
of other people.

What I want to apologize for is the wasted time, of the present website team, for the people who
contributed to the LibreOffice.org website and who invested a lot of their time and energy in it.
Their work is of course not lost, since we're proud to have a libreoffice.org website. But I'm
sorry they had to cope with all this incessant discussions and a seeming silence from the side of
the SC. I would also like to apologize to the general public because while we're dealing with these
kinds of issues, we're not advancing as fast as we want on others. I would, last but not least,
apologize to the SC members, because I felt my time was -during a certain period before 2011-
better spent on completely different issues. I should have stated and "barked" the obvious. But
then since it was the obvious, I felt it didn't need to be barked.

To all; I would like us to come back into a productive mood. We're here to contribute to our
present website, not to something else someone feels should be better. There's plenty of ideas out
there, plenty of people who would rather have us do something completely different: but at the end
of the day, we work on one project, LibreOffice and comments, "do this" & "you should do that" are
not really welcome here.

Expect a more hands-on approach of this mailing list. We're grateful for contributions, but we're
not here to stand the desires of people who cannot understand that Free Software does not equal
chaos and always following their decisions. The Steering Committee (and soon the Board of
Directors) is here to take decisions as well as other entities (see our bylaws). We're not
dictatorial, because we owe you transparency and that our bylaws clearly show no one can have
absolute or even too much powers. But what we want to set is an atmosphere in mailing lists that
are focused on contributions and not on fruitless discussions.

In the end, all of our actions, individually, collectively, can only be measured on one criteria:
contribution. This is the way we move forward, this is why we are "Libre".

Thank you,

Charles-H. Schulz.

--
charles.h.schulz