Hi Marc, Michael,
On 14/01/2011 18:54, Michael Wheatland wrote:
[...]

If I were new to LibreOffice and dropped by this section, I would think
automatically of "New Features" compared to what? Was there a previous
version?

Perhaps this section should be re-titled to "Highlighted Features" (or
something like that). I still favour not comparing ourselves to OOo. IMO, we
should forge our own path and let other distro's try to keep pace with us.
At this point, we have the momentum, the interested community contributors,
and talented devs. Other distros should be comparing themselves to us. I
think this would be a better attitude to have.

As far as marketing, sure, we may compare ourselves to other distros, OOo
and MSO. This, IMO, would be better made on a page with a grid with
checkmarks as to what we offer compared to the other distros. We could
reference this page back to the "Highlighted Features" page.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Marc

I agree with this concern. Yes we are using code from OpenOffice,
BrOffice and OOGo among others, but LibreOffice is a 'new product',
there has been no LibreOffice products before this one, hence we
actually don't have 'new features' just features which make
LibreOffice stand out from the crowd of Office suites.

In fact what you and Marc says is not completely true.
We are also aiming to get our OOo users to migrate to LibO, and also those who were currently studying their migration to OOo. Some of them have shown there support and remember that TDF is the continuity, not a breakage. Migrating to OOo takes a long time, qualifying the version sometime take one year to a company, several of them where on there way to finalize there study because it was the right time (Windows Vista/7, new UI and file format in 2010, the wave of OS in Europe, etc).

So highlighting the LibO specificities is good but should also ensure the decision makers that we are on the same path and there will be no learning curve necessary to use LibO instead of OOo, only some wanted features (like the new shortcuts in Calc or the Form menu entry).

So you are right that New Features is not the right term, may be Highlighted Features, like Marc was suggesting is much better.

As a side note, concerning BrOffice, this is only the branding that is different because of a trademark issue, and a small amount of Go-oo features have been incorporated for now. More will come later, once our users base is consolidated.

Kind regards
Sophie